- Client: University of Strathclyde
- Role: Quantity Surveying Services
- Value: £5.785m
- Programme: 2010 - 2014
- Procurement: Single Stage Tender using NEC3 Option A contract
- Location: Glasgow
New build research facility for testing and developing new network energy technologies. The 2 storey Control Centre Building houses permanent research staff with laboratories, offices, workshops, flexible project team rooms and associated ancillary accommodation. There is a viewing platform for observing the single storey LV testing laboratory and a control tower overlooking the HV power network compound with various electrical distribution items including but not limited to, Motor Generator Sets, Transformers (pole and pad mounted), Ring Main Units, LV Pillars, 11Kv CV panels and associated cabling. External site works, include construction of a new car park, vehicular access roads, pedestrian walkways and some soft landscaping to the surroundings. BREEAM 'Excellent' rating.
Our Role / Scope
Doig+Smith undertook full cost management services including cost planning, option costing, extensive value engineering, whole life costing, specialist equipment costing, procurement advice, preparation and management of the risk register and costing of project specific equipment risks, tender document preparation, tender evaluation, monthly valuations, cost reporting, strict management of change control, agreeing variations and final account agreement.
The team comprise of the following:
- Project Director
- Lead Quantity Surveyor
Benefits To Client
- Establish a Fixed Brief: On the PNDC the project team had difficulty in establishing a fixed brief from the end users primarily as the complex HV and LV electricity installations had to be the latest technology available at the time. Doig+Smith worked closely with the design specialists to understand and develop the brief and specification for inclusion in the tender document. We were able to identify where the specification was most likely to change during the construction phase from our in depth understanding and this allowed us to included informed sums within the Client's risk allowance for later expenditure.
- Change Control: Doig+Smith implemented and managed our strict change control procedures on the project from the outset which followed the NEC contract requirements including Early Warnings. We held weekly Early Warning meetings throughout the project where changes were reviewed and were either accepted or rejected by the team. Over £1m of change was included post contract primarily related to a changing brief as technology advanced. By proactively managing change we constantly ensured that the design and costs were controlled within the overall project budget and were able to accurately forecast the overall projects financial position in our monthly cost reports. This ensured the University were fully up to date in respect of project costs at all times.