- Client: South Lanarkshire College
- Role: Full Quantity Surveying Services
- Value: £1.7 million
- Programme: 9 Months
- Procurement: Design & Build
- Location: East Kilbride, Scotland
The Low Carbon Teaching Building for our Client, South Lanarkshire College, involved the construction of a low-energy, low-carbon teaching block to provide additional classrooms to augment the current College campus facilities.
The main project brief was that the new building must achieve a BREEAM ‘Outstanding’ rating to align with the College’s ethos of sustainable growth and minimisation of carbon emissions. The accreditation was confirmed in January 2016, making the building the first in the UK to attain BREEAM ‘Outstanding’ under the new 2014 BREEAM regulations.
The building featured an external envelope that mirrored that of the existing campus building, with the use of Render, Curtain Walling and Aluminium Cladding facades. The design also incorporated various renewable technologies, including:
- Ground Sourch Heat Pump with six 200m long boreholes
- Photovoltaic Panelling
- Rainwater Harvesting System
- Thermal Chimneys
- Highly Insulated Envelope including Triple Gazed Curtain Walling
Our Role / Scope
We were appointed to provide full Cost Management Services from Project Inception through to completion.
Our responsibilities included:
- Pre Contract Cost Planning
- Attainment of Cost & Management related BREEAM Credits
- Procurement and Tendering, including ensuring all BREEAM requirements were incorporated into the Contract
- Post Contract Cost Control & Reporting
- Agreement of Final Account within Project Budget
The team comprise of the following:
- Quantity Surveyor
- Principle Designer (CDM-C)
Benefits To Client
- Input during the design stages to ensure a cost effective design proposal was realised which fully met the Client’s brief.
- Close liaison with the Client, Project Team and BREEAM Consultant to ensure all available BREEAM Credits were attained and a BREEAM ‘Outstanding’ accreditation was awarded.
- Delivery of project within budget.