- Client: Strathallan School
- Role: Project Management, Employers Agent, Building Surveying and Quantity Surveying
- Value: £25,000 - £4m
- Programme: Ongoing
- Procurement: Various JCT SBCC Contracts
- Location: Perthshire, Scotland
Design and Construction of a new girls Sixth Form Boarding House comprising a three storey structure containing 61 bedrooms including accessible bedrooms, common rooms kitchens and permanent staff accommodation along with a reception area and feature helical staircase within the core of the building. A SBCC Building Contract with Contractors Design Portion was used.
The rejuvenation of 360 boarding house bedrooms over two summer holiday periods. The works included for retaining existing built-in furniture, replacing damaged sections, replacing carpets and decoration thereafter. This project was negotiated with a specialist fit-out contractor and a Minor Works Building contract was used. Doig+Smith managed the entire process which was successfully concluded in Summer 2013.
Various ongoing small maintenance works for external fabric repairs consisting of roofing works, replacement of rainwater goods, replacement of windows and external rendering works. SBCC Minor Works Building Contracts are adopted for these works.
Weight Room – Contract Administration and Quantity Surveyors on this £500,000 facility completed in 2012.
Centenary Sports Project – Due for completion (Phase 1) Autumn 2014. Phase 2 is due for completion Spring 2016. This will be a multi-purpose sports facility providing the following:-
- 3 tennis court
- 2 badminton courts
- Dance studio
- Associated changing, toilet and shower facilities.
The team comprise of the following:
- Project Manager and Employers Agent;
- Building Surveyor;
- Quantity Surveyor
Benefits To Client
- Continuity of Team: Doig+Smith have ensured that the School are provided with the same team for all projects. This has resulted in the team all being aware of and meeting the Client’s expectations for all projects.
- Cost Control: As a large amount of work within the School Estate is to historic buildings, Doig+Smith have managed the costs of works effectively to ensure that all projects are completed within or on budget and where any unforeseeable additional costs are identified, these are clearly explained and managed.
- Stakeholder control: A number of stakeholder interests have to be managed by Doig+Smith including teachers, resident staff, pupils and board of Governors. We have extensive experience of this through our years of experience.
- Working in an Existing School Environment: Traffic and Contractor management is a significant concern for the School with appropriate segregation being implemented at all times. Through guided tours and presentations, the pupils are made aware of the works and the dangers, thereby reducing the risk of unauthorised access to the site, particularly out of hours.