- Client: The Wasps Trust
- Role: Full Quantity Surveying Services pre and post construction
- Value: £4.5 million
- Programme: 52 weeks, completed January 2010
- Procurement: SBCC with Quantities for use in Scotland, 2005 Edition
- Location: Glasgow, Scotland
The Briggait is a beautiful Grade A listed historic building in the Merchant City District, and was formerly the City’s Fishmarket. This alterations, refurbishment and conservation project transformed the building into a new home for over 80 visual artists and cultural organisations. Works externally included roof and external wall fabric repairs. Internally, the main hall was refurbished, new mezzanines built and studios, offices and dance spaces created.
Our Role / Scope
Full Cost Management Services from inception to completion. Doig+Smith spearheaded VE exercises to make sure the project could be delivered within a very tight Client budget.
The team comprise of the following:
- Project Director;
- Lead Quantity Surveyor;
- Quantity Surveyor
Benefits To Client
- Experience in working with Historic Buildings: Doig+Smith are team players. To ensure the success of any project, particularly one as complex as The Briggait, teamwork is a necessity. By working closely with the team and reviewing the design in conjunction with the survey information and cost requirements, we were to establish firm costs for the project. Our experience ensured we identified areas of cost risk and adequate and appropriate risk allowances were made.
- Establish Early Robust Budget: With any refurbishment project, but particularly refurbishment and conservation works to an historic building, establishing an early robust budget is difficult. However by way of early planning and design, and adequate and fulsome survey work, the scope of works can be properly defined, budgets set with confidence, and complete tender documentation prepared to ensure firm Contractors’ offers.