- Client: Kelvinside Academy
- Role: Project Management & Quantity Surveying Services
- Value: £2.1 million
- Programme: September 2018 to July 2019
- Procurement: 2-stage Tender
- Location: Glasgow, Central Scotland
Following development of a series of masterplan options with Kelvinside Academy, this development comprises the construction of a new School of Innovation to create a unique learning environment focusing on creativity, innovation and enterprise.
The works include refurbishment of the existing structure and construction of a new, 3-storey extension within the existing school boundary. Renovation of existing classroom spaces will create new, modern teaching rooms with upgraded audio-visual installations to enhance the learning environment, while upgrades will be made to enhance the existing façade. A central focus for the project was to deliver the aims of Circular Construction, utilising renewable materials and working with an aim of reducing waste and enabling future recycling of the constructed elements.
The new extension will comprise of 3 storeys including a workshop with adjoining teaching space, a large performing arts studio, and a multi-purpose learning studio.
The Innovation School will be an open space for experts in diverse fields – scientists, academics, designers, entrepreneurs, roboticists – to share their expertise.
Our Role / Scope
Our role in the project is to provide Project Management and Quantity Surveying from Project inception through tender and construction to completion.
Throughout the initial feasibility and concept design phase Doig+Smith had an all-encompassing role incorporating all the pertinent issues, such as assisting Kelvinside Academy in developing their brief and management of the Design Team for the masterplan.
Doig+Smith are providing Project Management and Cost Management for the project, which has an estimated completion date of July 2019.
We provide the principle interface between Kelvinside Academy and Design Consultants throughout the pre and post-construction phases of the project as well as for the ongoing masterplanning exercise.
The team comprise of the following:
- Lead Project Manager;
- Lead Quantity Surveyor
Benefits To Client
- All of Doig+Smith’s key team members are experienced in options appraisal;
- Comprehensive understanding of pre-contact design management;
- Multi-discipline commission utilising streamlined and consistent processes;
- Full pre and post-contract service delivery employing 2-stage tender procurement;
- Value engineering to achieve value for money whilst taking cognisance of the Circular Construction aims.