- Client: St Columba's School
- Role: Full Quantity Surveying Services
- Value: £4m
- Programme: 44 weeks construction programme
- Procurement: 2 Stage Traditional
- Location: Kilmacolm, Inverclyde
The Villas Project consists of the refurbishment/reconfiguration of 2nr existing villas and the construction of a new single storey building to provide 7nr classrooms, staff areas and multiuse spaces.
Key challenges on the project include:
- Programme: This has been a key Client requirement and we implemented a robust two stage procurement process in order to achieve the key deliverable dates for the School whilst minimising disruption to adjacent School buildings as well as the education/exam curriculum.
- Cost: Cost certainty and managing change control has been a challenge as the design continued to develop throughout the two stage procurement process. In order to manage this we developed project specific procurement trackets and reports in order to drive project efficiences in the design and allow the Client the option to Value Manage or Value Engineer each work package to ensure the budget was maintained without affecting the quality/function of the buildings.
- Site Constraints/Ground Conditions: In order to maintain the programme a separate Enabling Works Contract was developed and procured for the new build element of the works. Additionally, with a tight site neighbour agreements/works were also required in order to create access for the main works and prevent buildability issues.
Our Role / Scope
Full Pre and Post Contract Quantity Surveying Services
- Cost Planning
- Tender Preparation & Contract Award
- Post Financial Control & Reporting
- Procurement/Supply Chain Management
The team comprised of the following:
- Quantity Surveyor
Benefits To Client
- Team experience of Two Stage Tendering allowed this procurement method to be used to meet the Client programme requirements.
- Our knowledge of the Tier 2 supply chain allowed us to identify cost envelopes where VfM was not initially achieved and challenge the returns and design.
- Proactive cost control and value engineering/value management has allowed the Client to add circa £220k of additional scope to the project without increasing the overall project budget.
- Two stage procurement created strong team ethos from Client, Design Team & Contractor.