- Client: City of Edinburgh Council
- Role: Quantity Surveying Services
- Value: £12m
- Programme: 12m construction (school) ; separate programme for demolitions and park works
- Procurement: Traditional. Second phase negotiated.
- Location: Portobello, Edinburgh
Doig+Smith was selected from the new City of Edinburgh Council Framework to provide Quantity Surveying services on the new St John’s Primary School in Portobello. This was the first time the Council had selected from the framework. The site/project had a degree of sensitivity within the local area and was subject to a high degree of consultation, due to the relocation of Portobello high school and the use of public park space in so doing. The SFT metric was to be benchmarked against and used as the starting point for analysis of costs. Any requirements above the metric would need full justification to both the council and SFT. The project specific issues include the demolition of the existing primary school and associated asbestos removals, the Council’s aspirations to attain BREEAM Excellent and/or EPC B+ by incorporating sustainable measures (Air Source Heat Pump), acoustic sensitivities, and the provision of a 21,000m² park on the existing site. The project succeeded in delivering the school to planned opening (with a bit of effort by all parties towards the end of construction). The second phase included demolition of the old school and creation of the new Treverlen Park. D+S provided cost advice for all aspects, including concept costing of the Edinburgh and Lothian Greenspace Trust proposals for the new park at early consultation stage.
Our Role / Scope
Full Quantity Surveying Service from very early outline Benchmarking, to managing the commercial delivery of the various project aspects to completion of both phases.
The team comprise of the following:
- Project Director
- Lead Quantity Surveyor
- Assistant Quantity Surveyor
Benefits To Client
- Extensive Schools for the Future Experience
- Delivered below the SFT metric.
- Challenging the SFT Metric (funding partner) by proactive and inclusive Benchmarking exercise in order to ensure the client was able to argue the case for the requisite level of funding.
- The Benchmark exercise also set the funding cap at an early stage for which the subsequent milestones were compared against. In this way the client was able to track the changes to requirements in relation to costs, achieving appropriate authority to proceed.
- Early engagement with the Community group for the decision making process for the Park options in order to meet the Council budget aspiration/limit.
- Involvement in the Procurement Strategy review alongside the External Project Manager informed the Client as to the most suitable approach.
- Incorporated additional works, but still delivered to opening programme
- Diligent final accounting process, undertaken by Surveyor involved from inception to completion, ensured overall Value for Money through thorough project knowledge.
- D+S led the team in sponsoring the School’s football strips.